Healthy lunches and snacks are something that should be part of every kids lunch box.
When we give our kids healthy foods to eat, it helps them to stay concentrate and improve their learning.
Our straight forward and easy tips are:
- Include fresh fruit, crunchy vegetables and a combination of protein, dairy and carbohydrate foods.
set a good example with your own lunches.
- Let your kids get involved by getting them to help prepare their own lunch.
- Praise your child when they choose healthy foods for their lunch box.
Here is a list of our healthy food suggestions:
• Fruit – Most kids like fruit, but the best choices are either fresh fruit or tinned fruit. We think dried fruit should rather be used as a treat option, as it is high in sugar.
• Vegetables – We know it can sometimes be tricky to get our kids to eat their vegetables so we suggest cutting the vegetables into veggie sticks and pack them with a health dip. Try carrot sticks with a homemade hummus, or celery sticks with low sodium peanut butter.
• Dairy – Yoghurt can be a really great option, but be weary of fruit flavoured yoghurts which can be really high in sugar. If your kid doesn’t like plain Greek yoghurt, add some berries or honey yourself, to give it a bit of flavour. Remember though, yoghurts need to be registered. Cheese can be a really great dairy option too. Try pre making your own homemade version of crackers and dips. With dips, we need to avoid dips that are high in sugar. Giving our kids the right crackers is also important. Did you know that some savoury crackers are just as high in trans fats and sodium, as some chips.
• Bread – In my opinion, you can never go wrong with some sort of bread of wrap. Why? Because it is very filling, and there are lots of options to experiment with. It is important though, to make sure that you give your kids whole meal and high grain options. You can add a protein, like tuna or chicken, and lots of salads, but make sure you vary the fillings, and we doubt your kid will be complaining! . Avoid sugary and sweet spreads like chocolate spreads and fruit jams.
Disclaimer: Results may vary. Exercise and proper diet are necessary to achieve and maintain weight loss. Consult with your health care processional before beginning any diet or exercise regime.